Understanding the difference between remy hair and synthetic hair extensions is key in making the right choice in purchasing hair extensions for you. Knowing how your hair is sourced or manufactured, whether or not you can style your extensions, how to tell the difference between remy hair and synthetic hair, advantages and disadvantages, can help you make an informed decision:
What is the difference between remy hair and synthetic hair?
Remy hair is 100% real human hair collected from a single donor or multiple donors by gathering the hair into a ponytail and cutting it so that the cuticles are left intact and flowing in one direction, which prevents tangling and frizzing. This collection technique keeps the strands from snagging on each other, creating a smooth finish. Synthetic hair fibers are made with low-grade acrylic plastic fibers such as nylon, polyester, vinyl chloride, modacrylic, and vinylidene chloride. The strands are created by stringing heated fibers together and binding them into groupings to create extensions.
How can you tell the difference?
There is a simple test to see if the hair is real or synthetic: take one strand of synthetic hair and burn it. It will melt into a ball and extinguish very quickly. Repeat with a real hair strand and it will burn more slowly, actually smelling like burning hair.
What are the advantages of remy hair?
- Remy hair has a better overall quality of appearance, looking lustrous, shiny, and with a smooth finish.
- It can be styled using heated appliances such as flat ironing, blowdrying, and curling.
- It can be colored and will hold color and highlights well.
- Remy hair blends beautifully with your own hair for a more natural look.
- With proper care remy hair extensions can last for years.
What are the disadvantages of synthetic hair?
- Synthetic hair cannot be heated because it will melt, releasing toxic fumes that are extremely dangerous.
- They cannot be washed in hot water, or rubbed between hands while washing as the fibers will break.
- Synthetic hair can cause allergic reactions when coming in contact with skin for some people.
- Synthetic hair is prone to tangle easily, and frizz forms as static builds up in the hair.
- It can’t be styled beyond cutting.
- Synthetic hair typically lasts between 2 to 3 months if worn regularly.
- The look of synthetic hair extensions is less natural, both in texture and color.
Consider the advantages and disadvantages when making your choice in extensions, the ability to color and style, the natural look of the hair, and the investment. Contact us for personal advice in choosing extensions and for our expert color-matching. We can help you find the perfect extensions to achieve your dream hair style!